Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Windy City

I spent this past weekend exploring Chicago with my Core 200 class. It was pretty sweet. I didn't know one city could be so diverse, and sadly, so segregated. We'd be driving in an almost all black community one minute, go under a bridge barely a block away, and find ourselves in the Mexican community, or Indian, or Latino, or China Town, then back in the black community again. It was sad to see how separated these people are from each other and from the wealthier parts of the city. We got to visit some of the churches in the different communities and talk to some of the Christians who lived in the rougher areas. Despite the conditions, they seemed surprisingly optimistic. We also visited several museums, got to see some sweet mural art, sampled about five different types of ethnic foods (along with Chicago style pizza), and got to hang out on the "Magnificent Mile" Saturday night. I confess it kind of made me want to move to a big city for a while. Anyway, I'm back at school now, enjoying the quiet, chill atmosphere here at Spring Arbor, and trying to catch up on some homework, so I should probably cut this short for now. God bless!

-cm

1 comment:

Marco Aurelio said...

sounds like fun man. what else?